Paiwan residents from Taitung County’s Daren Township (達仁) yesterday demonstrated outside the Executive Yuan in Taipei, protesting the government’s attempt to buy Aboriginal land at prices as low as NT$68 per square meter.
“Land represents life in our culture, and it is not considered an honorable thing for us to sell land that has been passed down from generation to generation,” former Daren mayor Chang Chin-sheng (張金生) said during the protest. “We understand the government wants our land for a road project. However unwillingly, we know we should sell the land to the government — but can you at least offer us a reasonable price?”
Chang was referring to a project by the Directorate-General of Highways to widen and improve Provincial Highway No. 9, which passes through the township.
Photo: George Tsorng, Taipei Times
“The government has taken away much of our land, and the Forestry Bureau’s logging in the mountains has caused mudslides,” Chang said. “We no longer have much of our traditional land left, how can you try to buy more at such a low price?”
Chang added that Taiwan Power Co (台電) paid NT$3,000 per square meter to build power supply facilities in the township.
Another protester, Hou Chin-chu (侯金助), said that it is especially unacceptable that the agency “threatened” landowners with forcible expropriation if they refuse to sell their land at the price offered by July 9.
Chen Ying (陳瑩), director of the Democratic Progressive Party’s Department of Aboriginal Affairs, accused the government of failing to follow proper legal procedure in negotiating with the locals.
“According to the Aboriginal Basic Act (原住民族基本法), the government needs to negotiate with the entire community when it wants to do something in a traditional Aboriginal domain,” said Chen, a Puyuma and a native of Taitung County. “However, no such negotiation took place before the agency made its decision.”
Representatives from the protesters later met with Cabinet Deputy Secretary-General Hsiao Chia-chi (蕭家淇), who agreed to make concessions.
“I will ask the Taitung County Government, which has the power to decide the purchase price, to reconsider its price proposal,” Hsiao said. “I will also ask the Ministry of Transportation and Communications to avoid causing any damage in the environment during the construction and to postpone the deadline, as well as call a meeting to explain the details of the project to landowners before the new deadline.”
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats